Tue, August 1, 2017 – Tue, October 31, 2017
(NON- NEGOTIABLE. MUST ARRIVE within this period.)
Takeyoshi Tanuma (Chief Judge, Photographer)
Keisuke Kumakiri (JPS President, Photographer)
Tokihiro Sato (Professor of Tokyo University of the Arts, Photographer)
Shintaro Shiratori (APA President, Photographer)
Officials from The Asahi Shimbun and The All-Japan Association of Photographic Societies
SPONSORED BY: THE ASAHI SHIMBUN / THE ALL-JAPAN ASSOCIATION OF PHOTOGRAPHIC SOCIETIES
The Asahi Shimbun Tokyo Head Office Main Gallery and other locations around Japan
*The Awards Ceremony will be held at The Asahi Shimbun Tokyo Head Office.
Beginning with the 78th (2018) Salon, we will no longer be providing the return of unselected photographs. Please note that only those entrants opting to have their work returned will be charged for the required return postage.
Please see here
● The International Photographic Salon of Japan is open to all photographers throughout the world.
● Open to all themes. We are looking for thought-provoking and original works.
● Entrant must have personally taken the photograph and must own the original copyrighted work.
● Composite and processing works are also acceptable.
● Works that have previously been published or that have won in other contests are eligible for entry. However, please do not breach the application requirements for such contests.
● Color or monochrome single prints (no photo series, panels, or mounted works allowed).
● The size must be at least no larger than 356mm×432mm
3. NUMBER OF ENTRIES
The number of entries is limited to within ten (10) per person.
● There is no entry fee. The Sponsors will cover the cost of returning submitted photographs.
5. APPLICATION PROCESS
● Complete the entry form. (A printable version available on the All-Japan Association of Photographic Societies website; copies are also acceptable.)
● All photographs and your entry form are to be mailed in an envelope clearly labeled with your NAME and COMPLETE RETURN ADDRESS. Label the back of each photograph you submit with its corresponding NUMBER on your entry form, its TITLE, your NAME, and the COUNTRY where you reside. Also, so there will be no mistake in the orientation of your photograph, write “TOP” at the upper edge on the back.
● Entries are not to be rolled, pasted, or mounted.
● If entries are submitted as a group, both 1) a list of entrants and 2) each individual’s personal entry form must be enclosed in an envelope clearly labeled with the REPRESENTATIVE’S NAME and COMPLETE RETURN ADDRESS. Label the back of each photograph submitted with its TITLE, your NAME, and COUNTRY of residence, and so that there will be no mistake in the orientation of the photograph, write “TOP” at the upper edge on the back and put each photograph into a separate transparent envelope.
● All completed forms you submit must be clearly written in ENGLISH BLOCK CAPITAL LETTERS. Incomplete information is a cause for rejection.
● There will be no confirmation from the Sponsors when your submissions have been delivered. Please contact your local postal or courier service about obtaining an optional delivery confirmation receipt.
6. CONTEST AWARDS
● 6 SPECIAL PRIZE winners (3 domestic, 3 overseas) CANON product, medal
114 HONORABLE MENTIONS (42 domestic, 72overseas) medal
● All winners will be presented with an award and a commemorative catalogue.
April 2018 is the prospective shipping date.
● Prize winning works will be exhibited in TOKYO, NAGOYA, FUKUOKA and other major cities in Japan.
8. PROCEDURES FOLLOWING NOTIFICATION OF RESULTS
● The All-Japan Association of Photographic Societies (AJAPS) will directly send notification to award-winning photographers.
● Award winners are scheduled to be announced in the Asahi Shimbun and on the AJAPS website in late January.
● Award-winning photographers are to check the accuracy of the AWARD name, their personal NAME and the TITLE of their work as they appear on the award notification document sent from AJAPS. When a correction is required, please notify AJAPS by postal mail or e-mail within the specified period of time. Clearly print all information in ENGLISH BLOCK CAPITAL LETTERS. Please understand that corrections cannot be made after the AJAPS-specified deadline.
9. MAILING ADDRESS
THE 78th INTERNATIONAL PHOTOGRAPHIC SALON OF JAPAN
The All Japan Associationof Photographic Societies
The Asahi Shimbun 5-3-2 Tsukiji, Chuo-ku Tokyo 104-8011 JAPAN
□ Concerning Entries
● The responsibility for obtaining all necessary consent to depict any person, work copyrighted by another or the like in a photograph submitted to the Salon contest will remain solely with the entrant photographer. Entrants must independently deal with third-party grievances, claims, formal objections or the like involving infringements of rights or restitution without inconveniencing the Sponsors.● Although photographs having previously received an award (works entered in other contests) are indeed eligible in this contest, please refrain from breaching any application guidelines set out in other contests. When submitting such a photograph, please clearly state the name of the contest, the year it won the prize, and the prize name.● Any photograph that is prohibited by law, disturbs public order or morals, or which might be interpreted as such, may not be submitted.● Meticulous attention will be paid when photographs are handled. However, the Sponsors assume no responsibility for damage or loss caused for any reason beyond their control.● When the Sponsors determine that an entry is in conflict with any of these application guidelines, it is still possible for an award to be revoked even after it has been announced.
□Handling Personal Information
● The copyright for an award-winning work is the property of the entrant, however photographers of the award-winning works must allow the Sponsor and Supporter corporations unlimited administration, management and use of their award-winning photographs on a non-remunerated basis without having granted prior consent for media publicity and promotion regarding the Salon contest including publication in the Sponsor newspaper and postings on Sponsor websites, the catalogue, as well as for domestic Japanese exhibitions and venues. Furthermore, the Sponsor and Supporter companies may extend this consent to third parties so that award-winning works may appear in various media for Salon contest publicity and promotion including exhibitions, public viewings, web browsing, and duplication at a variety of events. Whenever a work is used the photograph title, photographer’s name and country of residence will appear.
● The personal information provided on the entry form will to be used to contact the entrant, communicate prize notification, return unselected photographs, mail catalogues, and by the Sponsors and Supporting Corporations for announcing upcoming contests.
● The photographer’s name and country of residence will appear each time an award-winning photograph is exhibited or used.
(How to Proceed)
1. Visit the site for the entry requirements of International Photographic Salon of Japan. Then, click the special link to the payment website, and select “Return Fee Proof Document” among the purchase items.
2. After purchasing it, print out the PDF document called, “Return fee remitted.” Clearly print all information in ENGLISH BLOCK CAPITAL LETTERS, and enclose it in the envelope, along with your photographs. The delivery must be completed by October 31.
(NOTE) If there is no name on “Return fee remitted” document or such document is not enclosed in the entry envelope, your photographs will not be returned.
A catalogue of award-winning photographs will be published in April 2018. The price of one catalogue is 3500 yen, which includes the postage. If you would like to purchase it, go to the website. After selecting “Catalogue of the 78th Photographic Salon of Japan” among the purchase items, proceed the payment.