79th IPS:Tokyo Tokyo Old meets New Award
As 79th “International Photographic Salon,” which is the most historical photographic contest in Japan, will be held in this year, “Tokyo Tokyo Old meets New Award” will be added in this year.
In order to announce the attractiveness of Tokyo effectively to the world, the logo and slogan of "Tokyo Tokyo Old meets New" have been designed to express Tokyo, which holds both of the traditions exist from Edo period and the state-of-the-art cultures.
The theme of this contest is " Traditions and innovations coexist in Tokyo (Old meets New)."
● Overview of this category
We are looking for photographs that express the image of the logo, which is the attractiveness of Tokyo that holds both of "Traditions exist from Edo period and State-of-the-art cultures," characterizing the concept of Tokyo Brand: "Metropolitan surely offers various entertainments by continuously producing new styles while mixing traditions and innovations."
○ In particular, we look for photographs to inform foreign residents and international tourists of the attractiveness of Tokyo, as well as the scene of Tokyo where old meets new.
○ No submission fee is required, but photographs should be submitted via website. Photographs taken by smartphone, tablet, or similar devices are acceptable.
○ This category has been added as one of the projects of "advertising the attractiveness of Tokyo" to announce the attractiveness of Tokyo, by cooperating with Tokyo Metropolitan Government and Tokyo Convention & Visitors Bureau
● Sponsored by All-Japan Association of Photographic Societies (AJAPS) and Asahi Shimbun
1st prize: Tokyo Tokyo Old meets New Award for 1 person (with 500,000 JPY)
Award for Each Category (theme) with 50,000 JPY
Tokyo Tokyo Old meets New People Award: (Category: People)
Tokyo Tokyo Old meets New Street Award (Category: Townscape)
Tokyo Tokyo Old meets New Landscape Award (Category: Landscape)
Tokyo Tokyo Old meets New Fashion Award (Category: Fashion)
Tokyo Tokyo Old meets New Tradition Award (Category: Tradition)
Tokyo Tokyo Old meets New Innovation Award (Category: Innovation)
Some other categories may be added.
Award of Excellence for 20 persons (with 10,000 JPY)
● Application period
September 18 (Tues), 2018 through 5 p.m 17November 26 (Mon), 2018(JST)
● Judging committee
Takeyoshi Tanuma (President of AJAPS, Photographer)
Yoshihiro Tatsuki (Photographer)
● Rules of application
[Qualification for application] Regardless of nationalities, anybody can submit applications. No submission fee is required.
• Photos must be taken by you, and it must be your own photo with copyright.
• It is possible to submit photos, which are artificially combined, modified, or deformed.
• If the photo is not identical, you are qualified to submit your other photos to general category of International Photographic Salon as well. However, the photo that you send to “Tokyo Tokyo Old meets New Category” must be unpublished previously, whereas the photos that are shown in Social Network System or your blogs can be submitted.
• Single photo in color or monochrome (sets of photos cannot be accepted)
• One person can submit up to 5 photos.
• Data size for each photo must be 10 megabytes or less.
• Your photo data will not be returned.
● How to apply
Free to submit your application from this site
• Announcement for award-winning photographers
• Award-winning photographers will be noticed directly by us in the middle of December. (Notice will be given only to the winners.)
• The award-winning photographs are announced on Asahi Shimbun newspapers, Asahi Shimbun Digital, newsletter called “Photo Asahi” and website of AJAPS, as well as related media, such as潮日本 (chao ri Ben).
• Award ceremony
It is planned in March 23, 2019
Catalogue that collect all award-winning photographs are planned to be published in April, 2019. The tentative price is 2,500 JPY (excluding tax and shipping charge).
• If the photograph holds the copyright of portraits, creative works, and others that belong to third person, obtain the license for the usage in advance. If such person who holds the copyright complains, demands, or makes objections regarding the violation of copyright or compensation for damage, the applicant must handle all the issues, not giving any troubles to the sponsors.
• If the sponsors have considered that guidelines for applicants are violated, the sponsors may invalidate the award even after the announcement was made.
● Handling personal information
• Personal information of applicants is used for inquiring or notifying the applicant, as well as sending catalogue and other events and contests that sponsors and participating corporations will hold. Furthermore, the name and address (prefecture or up to city’s name) of the award-winning photographer are displayed when the award-winning photographs are used and introduced.
● Using award-winning photograph
• Although the copyright of award-winning photograph is held by the applicant, the sponsors, Tokyo Metropolitan Government, and other related corporations shall be allowed to use the photograph in free of charge for newspapers, website, or other media such as catalogue, exhibition, and display in facility that they have issued, handled, and managed without obtaining permission from the award-winning photographers. In addition, the sponsors, Tokyo Metropolitan Government, and other related corporations shall be allowed to re-grant a third party to use the photograph for exhibiting and publicizing in any event and to duplicate it for browsing websites for the purpose of promoting and publicizing this contest.
International Photographic Salon: Tokyo Tokyo Old meets New Award
Office of All-Japan Association of Photographic Societies (AJAPS)